Privacy and Security
When shopping online, there are a few signs to let you know you’re shopping on a site that’s secure.
You’ll see the VeriSign Trust Seal on our site. This means that VeriSign have verified our identity and confirmed our site passes a daily malware scan. Look out also for:
• a closed padlock and https in the URL
• a green address bar
This means a VeriSign SSL certificate secures us.
For extra security, you’ll see our checkout uses Verified by Visa, Mastercard SecureCard and American Express Safekey, which safeguard you from unauthorised use of your cards. Once you've registered and created a password with your card issuer, you'll be prompted to provide this each time you check out.
Here at AO, we only collect, keep, use or share your information for genuine business purposes, when you’ve approved us to do so, or when we’re obliged to legally. There are a few different reasons why we retain your personal details.
1. We want to make our website and our app accessible to you with informative content tailored to your needs.
2. When you provide us with your personal information, we use it to maintain any registered accounts you have with us.
3. With your agreement, we may contact you from time to time, by SMS, or e-mail regarding our latest promotional offers, products and services that we think you may be interested in.
4. We also may get in touch regarding customer satisfaction surveys and market research.
5. When you give us permission, we also use personal details to contact you regarding our services and products and if we need to verify your identity.
6. We also may use your personal information for research, analysis, testing, monitoring, risk management and administration purposes.
7. Your information could be used on any instances where we have a legal right to either use or disclose your information. This may include crime or fraud prevention purposes.
Creating an Account with AO
Information We'll Share
Our Finance Provider, V12 Retail Finance
If you spend £249 or more on the ao.com site, you can choose to spread the cost of your purchase by using finance. This payment option is provided by our chosen partner, V12 Retail Finance.
We chose V12 because they’ve provided finance options for more than 20 years, with an industry leading online paperless processing system.
When you select the Pay on Finance option, you’ll progress to V12’s secure online form to complete your application, and then be passed back to our checkout to complete your order. If your application is successful, you’ll enter in a Credit Agreement with Secure Trust Bank Plc (V12’s parent company) which will be administered by V12. The entry on your bank statements will show as a payment to Secure Trust Bank Plc.
V12 will pass you back to our checkout if your application is successful, but they won’t share any other information regarding your application or agreement with them. If you enter into a Credit Agreement with them, you’ll need to contact them directly with any queries or requests.
V12 will let us know whether or not your application was successful when they pass you back to our checkout, but they won’t share any other information regarding your application or credit report. If you enter into a Credit Agreement with them, you’ll need to contact them directly with any queries or requests.
V12 is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Secure Trust Bank Plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 204550.
When We'll Contact You
We like to be able to keep you up to date with news, offers and promotions, but you can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time. To do this, click on the “unsubscribe” link on the bottom of any of our emails, or contact customer care. It may take a couple of days for all of our systems to update, so bear with us whilst we process your request.`
When You Contact Us
If you get in touch by email or live chat to ask a question about your order or our services, we’ll keep a record of your emails and our responses. This helps us to resolve any problems, and to answer your query quickly and easily if you need to get in touch again. It also helps us to check our advisors have all the training they need to give you the best possible help. Your telephone calls to AO may also be recorded for training purposes.