"Super quiet and super clean"
Pros: Value for money, Easy to use, Good build quality, Quiet, looks good
"When our Neff built-in machine machine finally gave up the ghost after more than 10 years I decided to put a free standing machine in the vacated space. This gave far more options in terms of manufacturers, features, and capacity, and would save money at the same time. So going for this LG F14A8TDA6 saved around a hundred pounds over the cheapest Neff built-in machine, but meant a larger capacity (8Kg rather than 7Kg), a quiet direct drive motor, and a 10 year motor warranty.
A few notable points:
1. There's only a cold water inlet, so if you're replacing an older hot+cold fed machine you'll need to disconnect and shut off the existing hot feed.
2. Unlike some machines this one has the same front-back depth (59cm) at the top and the bottom. In my case this meant that the LG couldn't be pushed back against the wall as there's a stone cill at ground level. Some other washing machines have a slight recess in the back near the base, but possibly the direct drive motor means a different layout internally.
3. It really is quiet. Even at the maximum 1400rpm spin speed it's far quieter than the Neff machine it replaced, and doesn't jump or rock around significantly during the spin cycle, so there's no sound of kitchen units being bashed into.
4. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the specification but the plethora of program options is managed pretty well by a combination of a single mode dial (things like wool/easy care/cotton...) then a touch screen to override default options (spin speed, temperature, and so on). In most cases the mode dial is enough.
5. When the program finishes the machine plays you a little tune. It sounds a bit like a French nursery rhyme ("auprès de ma blonde")."
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?