These Terms and Conditions apply to your use of the ao.com website and every order placed with ao.com.
We're passionate about our customers and making sure that you're happy and so the following sets out the terms and conditions that apply to your order in what we hope is a straight-forward and customer friendly way.
1. Our contract with you
When you place an order, you are offering to buy the product(s) from us and we will send you an order acknowledgement. However, your offer shall only be accepted by us once we place the product you have ordered onto the delivery van and only then shall a legally binding contract be formed between us. Until then we can decline to supply the goods – we will try to ensure that this never happens but we do however, reserve the right not to fulfil your order for any reason if, for example, we have made an error on the price or similar or we simply can't get hold of the model you need. In the event of these circumstances we will refund you any price you’ve paid to us.
We display our availability on the website and also display when you can have it delivered. We deliver thousands of products a week and so we have to rely on a computer system for our stock control. Computers are better than people at this stuff on a big scale but even they occasionally get it wrong. If we get this wrong we will tell you as soon as we know and we will try to sort it out for you.
3. Website information
We try to specify accurate dimensions for every product listed on ao.com. However, please be aware that the product dimensions do not include any protruding features such as controls and handles etc and product dimensions represent the casing of the product only. Whilst we try to be as accurate as possible, all sizes, weights and measurements quoted on the website are approximate only. Similarly, we've made every effort to display all product colours accurately. However we can't guarantee that the image displayed on your monitor will accurately reflect the true colour of the product delivered to you. Please also be aware that colours may differ between manufacturers. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that product specifications are correct on the website, due to continual product development through research & design, specifications may change without notice.
Any customer reviews of the products we sell are the opinions of our customers and do not form part of the specification or description of the product. We shall not be liable if any of the information contained in a customer review proves inaccurate.
You acknowledge and agree that:
The copyright in the photos, videos, data and text used on our website belongs to us or our suppliers and the general look and feel and format of our website belongs to us. You are permitted to use this material only as expressly authorised by us or our suppliers.
We are entitled to change or amend our website without giving you notice (but the terms and conditions applicable when you placed your order will continue to apply to those products).
All the prices we display include VAT and exclude delivery and other services such as disconnection & recycling of your old product, or connection/installation, unless stated specifically on the website. You can see further information on our delivery and ancillary services here.
Our 'Price Match Promise' service matches the price of the product including any delivery changes applied by specified competitors, subject to certain conditions. Please see here for further information.
From time to time we may offer products at sale or promotional prices. Any such offers will apply to selected products and be subject to availability. Delivery charges, conditions and geographical exclusions may apply. Please refer to individual product pages for pricing.
You won't be surprised to learn that you can pay with more or less any type of credit/debit card. This includes Maestro, Delta, MasterCard, American Express or Visa card and we do all we can to ensure your details are secure. We also accept PayPal on all online orders, and this doesn't cost you any extra. If there are any problems with receiving payment we'll let you know.
From time to time we’ll offer discount codes on selected products. Discount codes will be available for limited time with eligible dates clearly visible. They’re also subject to availability and can be withdrawn at any time. Discount codes can only be redeemed on ao.com. If you’re returning part of an order that’s had a discount code applied, your refund will be for the full amount minus the discount applied.
We deliver to every UK postcode (excluding Scottish Highlands, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland) normally through our sister company, Expert Logistics Limited. Expert has a phenomenal delivery success rate that we are very proud of and a will to deliver that we cannot fault. However, from time to time we may also need to use other delivery agents.
The products we sell are often big and heavy things to lift, so there will be certain occasions when they may be unable to get it into your property. Lots of steps, narrow corridors, radiators and restricted parking are all things that may hinder their ability to deliver. In these situations they may be able to offer delivery to the nearest point possible i.e. your garage, so you can make arrangements to get the product in. If not we will attempt another delivery date or give you a full refund. Occasionally something will happen out of our control that closes roads, like floods snow or other adverse weather conditions or things like, sporting events which result in closed roads. In this event we'll block any affected dates out of the checkout delivery calendar. If you've already selected your delivery date and you're affected, we'll contact you as soon as possible to arrange alternative delivery options. We will do what we can, but can’t be held liable if we can’t fulfil delivery due to reasons beyond our control.
There are various delivery options available, depending on your needs and how much you want to pay. These options are set out clearly on the checkout page before you place your order.
7. Additional Services
The charges for additional services are clearly laid out in the disconnection & recycling and connection pages and will be displayed on the checkout page when you place your order.
Disconnection & Recycling
Disconnection is available for certain old appliances that are plumbed into water pipes and old appliances that are connected to gas mains or with a hard-wire electrical connection. Unfortunately, disconnection isn’t currently available for built-in/integrated appliances (for gas and hard-wire installations, disconnection is included in the installation charge).
If you have ordered a disconnection service, there are a few things you will need to do before we arrive so we can disconnect successfully. If it's a fridge or freezer, please make sure it's defrosted and all food is removed. For washing machines and washer dryers, you'll need to remove any clothes from the drum. If we’re disconnecting a dishwasher, please make sure all plates and cutlery are removed.
If you’re making use of recycling service and haven’t opted for our disconnection service, please disconnect (and defrost if necessary) the appliance before we arrive. If you’ve chosen to have your old TV recycled, all we ask is that your old TV is disconnected and removed from any stands or brackets, ready for us to take away.
We only charge for the cost of transporting your appliance for recycling. Alternatively if you wish to return your appliance to us with no charge then this can be accepted at our delivery company's premises; Expert Logistics, Weston Road, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6BE - Monday to Friday 10.00 to 16.00. Proof of the delivery of our product will be required and they can only accept like for like items to those that were delivered.
We offer an installation service for most of the products we sell.
If you're making use of a connection/installation service and haven’t opted for our disconnection service, please disconnect (and defrost if necessary) the appliance before we arrive.
We will not be able to connect your new items if:
Any electrical/plumbing supplies needed fail the delivery team's testing or are unsuitable.
Any water supply needed cannot be isolated or is unsuitable.
Any drainage/waste facilities needed are unusable.
Mechanical adjustments are required to the item(s) to overcome such things as water pressure etc
Alterations to existing plumbing and electrical are required.
Special conditions for Gas and Electric Installations
We have an elite team of Gas Safe engineers who are also skilled in electrical connections and able to install your new cookers, range cookers, hobs and ovens. The charges for our gas and electrical installations are clearly highlighted on our Gas and Electrical Connection page - for more info, click here.
If you need us to disconnect your old appliance, we will do this when we arrive (and for gas and hard-wire installations, disconnection is included in the installation charge).
As you can probably imagine, for your safety, there are a lot of rules around connecting cookers so there are things that we need you to check before we arrive:
- Please ensure that you have suitable ventilation. This could be an extraction fan or a window that opens.
- You need to check the dimensions of your new appliance and make sure there'll be enough room around the back and sides for ventilation once we've installed it.
- You need to make sure you've got an adequate gap between your cooker or hob and anything above it. The dimensions of this space, known as the "Hot Zone", need to comply with the manufacturer requirements and Gas Safe legislation. It also needs to be completely clear of any flammable materials, such as wallpaper, cupboards or shelves and plug sockets. If we arrive and the Hot Zone isn't clear, we won't be able to complete your installation.
- There needs to be an existing gas supply to the installation point. The room that we're connecting into needs to have a door or window to the outside of the property to allow for adequate ventilation and we also need access to a 3 pin electric socket within 1.2 metres of the installation area
- If you're planning to run your appliance using cylinder gas, you'll need to make us aware when you place your order. This helps us make sure we've got everything we need to connect it when we arrive!
- We will install all hobs based on the current hole in the worktop not being any larger than the size of your new hob. If required, we can make this hole bigger to install the new hob but we can only cut into worktops that are made of wood. This means surfaces such as granite, composite or metal will have to be the right size for installation before we get there.
- For electric cookers and hobs, we need to be able to access an isolation switch and electricity supply at the connection point.
- There are some induction hobs we can't connect due to the type of wiring required and we'll only be able to know for sure when we arrive. If this happens, you'll need to call out an electrician to complete your installation.
- If we are connecting a built-in or built under oven, we'll also assess the housing before installation to make sure it's safe for use and can hold the weight of the appliance. We'll check to make sure there isn't any existing damage and unfortunately, if we do find damage, we'll not be able to fit your appliance.
Our engineers are highly trained and will always do their very best to connect your appliance but occasionally and mainly for the reasons above, this may not be possible. Where our team cannot complete the connection through no fault of their own, we reserve the right not to refund any connection charge paid.
To install a gas item, our engineers will need to switch off your gas supply so that they can carry out the work safely. We'll always turn back on and attempt to restart any items you need us to. However, on occasion, some gas items - such as boilers - may not restart and you'll need to call out a Heating Engineer. This is very rare but if it does happen, we will not be responsible for any boiler repair costs.
Special conditions for TV Installation
We now have a professional installation team who can take away the stress of setting up your new TV. The charges for our TV installation and recycling are clearly displayed on our TV Installation page – for more info, click here
What we’ll do:
- We'll unpack your new TV.
- Disconnect the wires from your old TV.
- Connect your new TV to the stand that’s in the box. We’re unable to connect to a furniture television stand (as in a piece of furniture with brackets for a TV).
- Place it onto a suitable flat surface of your choice.
- Connect any new or existing devices to your new TV (e.g. sound bars, satellite boxes, games consoles). There isn’t a limit to how many existing devices we can connect, but we won’t be able to correct or adjust any settings. Please also make sure you have any connecting cables (e.g. HDMI, scart cable etc.) ready when we deliver, as we won’t be able to supply them unless you have bought them as part of your order.
- If you've ordered a SMART TV we’ll try to connect it to your home WiFi. Please have your password ready, so we can get you up and running quickly. We’ll leave the exploring of the SMART features to you, as they are specific to your taste.
- We'll tune in your TV and explain some of its basic features, so that you can enjoy it straight away.
- Recycle your old TV if you’ve selected it.
- Take away the packaging from your new TV.
Things to think about:
- We'll happily connect any speakers or amps for you but are unable to mount them to your wall.
- Please check that your aerial and cable will reach the area where you want your TV installed and also that your plug socket or electrical extension lead is within 1 meter of your TV.
- Our installers do not carry extension aerials and will only carry an electrical extension lead to allow them to test your new TV and they’ll take it away with them.
- We won’t be able to lay cables under carpets, flooring or behind skirting boards.
- Some SMART TVs require a dongle to use the internet features. Please double check this as they are not supplied with the TV. Our installers will carry a spare dongle with them to test the internet connection on your TV, but will take it away with them.
Our engineers are highly trained and will always do their very best to connect your TV but occasionally and mainly for the reasons above, this may not be possible. Where our team cannot complete the connection through no fault of their own, we reserve the right not to refund any connection charge paid.
If you're not happy with your product or simply change your mind you can return it within 14 days of delivery and receive a refund. We’re happy for you to unpack the appliance and inspect it properly as you would had you bought the item from a shop. However, if you have used it beyond this, this may have a knock on effect on our ability to sell it to someone else and so where the value of the product is reduced by your use we may only make a partial refund (equal such reduced value) or subsequently charge you for the reduction in value. Your refund will be made within 14 days of collection of the appliance.
To cancel a product and request collection please click here, or call 0344 324 9222. We'll collect your product free of charge within a reasonable time from when you cancel and on a day that suits you. We’ll also refund you the cost of delivery (except for the supplementary costs arising if you chose a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us).
Our 14 day cancellation policy also applies to any additional services you may have ordered. If you have ordered any additional services for a product then these will be automatically be cancelled when the order for that product is cancelled, unless the service has already been performed. If you order an additional service and expressly choose for that service to be carried out within 14 days of order (by nominating your desired day of delivery or otherwise), then you are deemed to have waived your cancellation rights and we shall not be under any obligation to refund any charges paid for any such additional services.
9. If Products are faulty
As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to products that are faulty or not as described. We are under a legal duty to supply products that are in conformity with this contract. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Terms will affect your legal rights.
10. Things beyond our control
We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under these terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control. Such events include any act, non-occurrence, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes, in particular (without limitation), the following:
- Strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; or
- Civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat
or preparation for war; or
- Fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster or adverse weather; or
- Impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; or
- Impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks
Our obligations under these terms are suspended for the period that such event continues and we will have an extension of time to perform these obligations for the duration of that period. We will take reasonable steps to bring the event to a close or to find a solution by which our obligations under these terms can be performed despite the event.
11. Our liability to you
Given that most people are honest and fair, we'll do what we believe is right and fair if we fail to comply with these Terms We do admit to getting some stuff wrong now and again and we'll hold our hands up if we do; in such circumstances we will be responsible for the loss or damage you suffer that us reasonably foreseeable. However the maximum we will pay out for food loss or any ancillary damaged items (excluding the cost of appliances themselves) will be £250 per product.
Where we are installing products in your property, we will make good any damage to your property caused by us in the course of installation or performance. However, we shall not be responsible for the cost of repairing any pre-existing faults or damage to your property that we discover in the course of installation and/or performance by us.
We only supply products for domestic and private use. You agree not to use products for any commercial, business or re-sale purpose, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors;
fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession);
breach of the terms implied by sections 13, 14 and 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (description, satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and samples); and
defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
12. Information about us and how to contact us
ao.com is operated by AO Retail Limited, a company registered in England and Wales. Our company registration number is 03914998 and our registered office is at:
- AO Retail Limited,
- 5A The Parklands,
- BL6 4SD
Our registered VAT number is GB945698169.
If you have any questions, you may be able to find some answers in our FAQ’s. Our intention is to give you all of the information you need so you never need to call us. However, if you want to check something, change something, ask a question or simply find out about life in general then we have a team of people waiting to take your call on 0344 324 9222.
Alternatively, you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address given above.
13. How we may use your personal information
We will use the personal information you provide to us to:
supply and deliver the products;
process your payment for such products; and
inform you about similar products or services that we provide, but you may stop receiving these at any time by contacting us.
You agree that we may pass your personal information to our delivery agents or credit reference/fraud preventions agencies and that they may keep a record of any search that they do. We will not give your personal data to any other third party without your consent.
The contract made between us and all our and your rights and obligations shall be governed by English law and any disputes arising under it shall be heard in the English courts.
15. V12 Finance
Customers are able to apply to pay on finance through our third party finance provider, V12.
Finance for interest-bearing credit products is available over 6, 12, 24, 36 or 48 months, subject to status. From time to time we may offer an interest-free credit product over 6 or 12 month terms, at our discretion. Finance is only offered on selected online purchases and may not always be available when used in conjunction with any promotions. To be eligible to apply for finance, you must be 18 or older and have been a UK resident for more than 3 years. Other conditions may apply and we cannot guarantee that you application will be accepted. The stock will not be allocated until the application has been completed and approved. We reserve the right to withdraw finance on certain products at any time.
As finance is a web only offer, we do not offer price matching.
If the products ordered are part of a promotion, e.g. cash -back, then unless the terms of such promotion specify otherwise it can be claimed it in the same way. However, if you trade in an old product, the money will be taken off the amount you owe on the finance agreement, not credited to your account.
V12 is the UK’s only specialist Retail Finance provider. Based in Cardiff, V12 has been offering Retail, Point of Sale and Interest Free Finance for over 20 years, specialising in Online Finance for the past 10 years. If your application is successful you will enter into a Credit Agreement with Secure Trust Bank Plc (V12’s parent company) which will be administered by V12. V12 is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Secure Trust Bank Plc is, authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number is 204550.
Should you cancel your credit agreement and have already received products from us then you will be liable to pay us in full for the product (unless your cancellation rights apply).