Your American Fridge Freezer works all day and night to keep your food fresh, so it's important to take good care of it. We’ve rounded up everything you need to know, from keeping things clean inside and out, to making your food last longer. Just a few hints, tips and tricks to make your life easier.
American Fridge Freezer How To
Tasty, cool drinks
Give the ice cube storage case a clean regularly to keep bad smells away from your refreshing, cool drinks. Use a little bit of lukewarm water to rinse out the container. Give it a good dry before re-attaching, as you don't want the fresh ice cubes to stick. To leave your water dispenser fresh and clean, remove the strainer from the shelf and use a sponge to get rid of any excess water.
How to change the water filter
2. Take off the filter cover. If you’re struggling to locate it, your product manual will be able to help.
3. Turn the filter anti-clockwise and pull out.
4. Twist your shiny new filter in to position.
5. Put the filter cover back on then re-connect the water and power.
6. When all that’s done, run the water for a few minutes and avoid using the new ice for a day or so.
How to clean the interior
- Make sure the temperature dial is set to 'off', all your food is out of the fridge and in a cooler. Leave the shelves, baskets and racks soaking while you take care of the rest.
- Mix warm water with some neutral detergent and use a dishcloth to freshen up the inside of the fridge. The door seal and shelves tend to carry odours so it’s worth wiping those down too.
- If you need to get rid of some tougher stains, vinegar is the answer. As it’s a natural cleaner, you’ll get better results than you would using bleach or any other chemical. Use a clean cloth, dab on some vinegar and simply rub away those stains.
- Before returning all the shelves and baskets to their home, give them a quick rinse and dry.
- We don’t want all your hard-work undone, so as you’re putting food back in, wipe down the bottoms of containers with a dishcloth. This will prevent marks appearing on your sparklingly clean shelves.
How to clean the exterior
If the outside of your American Fridge Freezer is made of stainless steel or any other metal, use an oil based stainless steel cleaner. Remember to clean in the direction of the grain to avoid any streaks. If the exterior is made of plastic or painted, a mixture of warm water and detergent will do the trick. Use a sponge to wipe down.
Keep it cool
Some models have a grill at the back which is where the heat exchanger lives. This clever little bit of kit keeps the American Fridge Freezer cool and free of hot air. We recommend cleaning the grill at least once a year to keep it dust free and to ensure your appliance is running as well as it possibly can. The nozzle attachment on your vacuum cleaner is a really handy tool to use for this.
Be kind to your food
American Fridge Freezers have plenty of space inside. So, you can keep your food fresher for longer and odour-free by leaving some space between items. This allows cold air to circulate freely around all of your food so everything is refrigerated or frozen as it should be. If you have foods that are rich in moisture, like salads, or you’re soaking peas and beans in water, we recommend keeping them at the front of the fridge. Try and store them as far away from the cold air spout as possible as they could freeze.