Find out how to stop your dishwasher from smelling and your glasses from becoming cloudy. Read our top dishwasher troubleshooting hints and tips at ao.com
My dishwasher won't start
- It may sound silly, but it’s worth double checking that the power cord is pushed into the socket properly.
- There may even be an issue with the socket itself. Try another electrical appliance in the same socket, like a radio, or anything that you know is working.
- The dishwasher won’t run if the door isn’t closed fully. If you don’t hear the latch as you shut the door, it might still be open.
Why won't my dishes clean properly?
- Squeezing in every last dish in to one wash is very tempting but it can cause all kinds of issues, including cleaning performance. If bulky items are in the way of the spray arm, they may be stopping water reaching and cleaning all of your pots and pans.
- Quick washes are ideal when time isn't on your side, but keep in mind that they aren't designed to remove stubborn food stains.
- As mentioned in our top 10 dishwasher tips, cleaning the filter regularly helps to keep everything fresh and clean.
How do I stop my glasses and dishes from going cloudy?
A lot of people are wary about washing their glassware in a dishwasher, as they think they’ll be left with streaky and cloudy tumblers. It doesn’t have to be that way! Dishwasher salt improves performance and leaves your glassware and dishes sparklingly clean.
Banish that bad smell
Sometimes your dishwasher needs a bit of alone time. Running a hot wash while the machine is empty is a helpful way to give it a deep clean and get rid of any nasty odours. We also recommend keeping the dishwasher salt topped up as it improves cleaning performance. Most dishwashers will let you know when salt levels are low. See our dishwasher cleaning tips for more helpful hints.
Why is my cutlery going rusty?
We recommend avoiding washing cast iron pans and pots in the dishwasher whenever possible as they can start to rust. The rust can spread on to metallic items like cutlery and even onto the lining of the machine.
Struggling to open the door?
Where's the water?
If your machine isn't filling and it has a digital display, the chances are it will be showing a tap symbol that basically means there is no water flowing to the dishwasher. First things first, check that the water supply is on and get rid of any kinks in the hose. Have a look in your product manual for any error codes that may be showing on the display.