With more and more people introducing a dehumidifier to their home, we thought it was time to shed some light on the health benefits that come with having the electrical item.
Prevents growth of dust mites
Each dust mite produces around 20 droppings per day, which can continue to cause symptoms after the mite has died. These droppings can crumble into tiny fragments, which can be inhaled. An allergy to dust mites is the result of a hypersensitive reaction to the proteins in these droppings. Dust mites cause allergies and irritations such as eczema, dermatitis, sinusitis and wheezing. The relative humidity in your home, particularly in your bedroom, will have a significant effect on the house dust mite population. Dust mites need warm humid air to survive. They also need a type of fungi to break down the dead skin cells on which they live. This is also dependent on a certain level of moisture in the air.
A dehumidifier works wonders at removing moisture and eliminating the source of food and drink that the dust mite depends upon.
No damp in the house
When you’re living in a house with damp, there’s more to consider than peeling wallpaper and the smell. Damp in the house has been linked to health problems such as respiratory problems, eczema, fever and vomiting. A dehumidifier is excellent for preventing damp in the house. It is also great (depending on the level of damp) for combating existing damp.
No mold or mildew
Damp in the air or in your house can cause mold. Mold can be bad for your health especially if you’re sensitive to it. It is especially bad for houses with kids/pets. Especially if consumed, this bacteria can cause irritation, nasal stuffiness, coughing, skin irritation and sickness. A dehumidifier will combat this. It extracts the moisture in the air that causes mold and prevents it.