Well, that was summer, *sigh*. Trees have changed colour, t-shirt and shorts are less socially acceptable and only the hardcore among us are still barbecuing. But that also means that we can start to indulge ourselves in some autumnal comfort food.
Put down that carton of factory produced soup! This is a really easy recipe using natural antioxidants. If you want to blend it at the end to make it look more like a traditional soup you can but I prefer to leave it clear.
Also, don’t worry about the fennel. If, like me, you hate anything aniseed-like (I must be the only Greek guy in the world who hates Ouzo) don’t worry – the cooking process, along with the butter and coriander, gets rid of that flavour and turns it into something much more tasty and satisfying.
here's what you'll need...
- A quarter of a fennel
- A handful of carrots (I used baby ones because they’re slightly sweeter)
- Half a handful of shallots (you can use onions but again I prefer the flavour)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices of ginger (you don’t need to peel it)
- A handful of your favourite mushrooms
- A handful of coriander
- Salt, pepper and butter to season
- A quarter cup of rice