Inspired by Lisa Faulkner, here’s a hearty and warming recipe that’s perfect for this time of year. Starting with the quick heat of the hob and finished long and slow in the oven, it’ll really get the best out of your cooker and satisfy those cravings for great comfort food.
Using the heat most the Chunky cuts of beef and kidney beans make it filling enough as a simple one pot meal but it’s equally lovely with rice. I find it’s also great for batch cooking on a Sunday afternoon, and makes a quick and easy lunch option during the week when you just can’t face another boring sandwich. The addition of feta cheese serves to cool down the heat, or add a dollop of soured cream for an authentic finish as a different option.
Here's what you'll need...
- 800g (2 tins) chopped tomatoes
- 500g chopped braising beef
- 240g drained red kidney beans
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cardamom pods (crushed)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chopped garlic (or 2 garlic cloves)
- 2 tsp chopped red chillies (or 2 whole chillies, finely chopped)
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 tbsp oil
- Feta cheese to garnish
- Fresh coriander to garnis