The health benefits of going vegan are endless, so January has officially been dubbed as ‘Veganuary’. This is where people join in and decide to turn vegan for the month. Being vegan need not mean that you opt for boring and bland foods though, this dhal recipe is a brilliant vegan food.
It is easily prepared in your slow cooker or stove top. Perfect as a side dish with curry or as a main served over rice and garnished with toasted cashews and coconut cream.
Although it has caused some debate in the office around how you actually spell it. Dhal? Daal? Dal? Dahl? Who knows? What we do know is though, it tastes delicious regardless.
Here's how it's done...
Here's what you'll need...
- 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 tsp each of ground cumin, turmeric & garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g split red lentils, well rinsed
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Basmati rice
- Sliced red chilli
- Handful toasted cashew nuts
- Coconut cream
- Coriander leaves